Sunday, May 18, 2014

DIY Repair clicking-problem on a Logitech M185

One morning when I was clicking happily away, my Logitech M185 mouse decided not to follow my gentle taps. I had to press hard to make a left-click. So I thought maybe I could fix that left-clicking problem since I have done it before a long time ago.

Opening up the case

Opening the Logitech M185 is really easy. First, open the battery cover at the back of the mouse. Take the battery out to reveal the screw at the bottom. Then unscrew it, lift up the cover slightly and slide the cover towards you ( mouse on upright position ).




Click mechanism

When you open up the case, there will be two black rectangle boxes on the PCB which are the click mechanisms. My easy solution? Stick a tape or two on the protruding plastic ( where it meets the problematic click mechanism ) at the bottom of the mouse cover. Make sure you use a tape with good adhesive. Cut the tape to match the flat square surface on the plastic. In my case, I pasted two layers of tape.



After you're done, close the case by sliding the cover in the brackets and tighten the screw.


It's still clicking like new for over 3 weeks now, so it's not too bad for such a simple DIY.

If mouse-clicks is still not satisfactory, then you will have to open up the click mechanism box to repair. You can go to this link for further instructions ( goto Step 5 and onwards ).


17 comments:

  1. The left click started only working if I clicked it very hard, so I did this with about 5-6 layers of tape, and it worked a treat! thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear it worked out for you. My two layer tape lasted for 5 months, I guess your 5-6 layers would last you longer :).

      Delete
  2. Hey thanks man, this works for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logitech used to manufacture good mouses... Unfortunatelly - M185 is shittiest model ever built. I boutgh two - left click stoppped working in 6 month and was replaced by warranty. After that it lasted another 4 months - and it's f.ked up again. Never again - and now I am completelly anti- logitech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I have to agree to that. Had 3 M185 and all of them had button problems.

      Delete
    2. Nah they still make good mice. Their Triathalon mouse is well built. For all mine has been through it's more than outlived it's price. 6 months isn't bad. You get what you pay for and in this case you didn't pay much. Hello 2015 from 2021

      Delete
  4. Thank you friend. You saved me 100 bucks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had problems with this mouse, the buttons would click intermittently, so I knew it wasn't a problem with the pressure on the switch, rather I guessed it was a cleaning problem, so I opened the mouse, and poured some rubbing alcohol right on top of the switch so it would go in to it and started clicking away, I did the same with the other switch, and let it dry, when i closed the mouse, my buttons were working just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also opened and put a small tape works fine now, the left button is slightly raised now but who cares so long as it works.
    This model of 2 years ago was perfect other than middle click stop working properly...next mouse will be a different model. Maybe anywhere 2

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK GOD FOR THIS PAGE!! Fixed my mouse in about 3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Thanks soooooooo much! The buttons on this mouse were driving me crazy! I bought the set - KB/mouse - and love the keyboard but this mouse was on a fast track to the trash!! This is GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mouse is not powering On. Changed batteries also. Can it be repaired?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that means your mouse's board is fried, which in that case the only option is to get a new mouse or replace the board.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this worked so well. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK YOU! I was not wanting to have to order a whole new mouse and keyboard set. I found this page and your instructions worked like magic.
    Thanks a million!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete